Sunday, March 9, 2008

Remembering the Dugout, and Larry Lisciotti

In 1963, at the age of thirteen, I discovered the game of pool (especially nine ball) at the Red Sox Dugout, or Dugout for short; a basement pool hall in Manchester, Connecticut. That was also the year that I met the great pool player, hustler, and future world champion, Larry Lisciotti. To read the entire story follow the link below.

This story appears at:

Remembering the Dugout, and Larry Lisciotti

Laudizen King

PS: Anne, thanks for everything. LK 3/31

PS: Thank you, Dana. My wife and I love Morro Bay. Good luck, and cherish that sign. LK 5/18/08



3 comments:

Anne said...

Niz,
Hello! My Father and Uncle enjoyed your piece on Larry Lisciotti. They have known who you are from the begining... and are curious to see if you have any guesses as to who they are! Here's a hint...when you went up to Green School to play cards, did you ever walk up Jensen Street and Weaver Road? My Father lived on Weaver and my Uncle on Jensen. :)
-Anne

Dana said...

Hi Niz,

I also enjoyed your piece on Larry Lisciotti and the dugout. I spent many hours of my high school years hangin out in the Dugout. You brought back some vivid memories for me. I hadn't thought of that phrase "wanna play for time?" in 40 years. As a side note, just before they tore the Dugout down I broke in to have a look around. All the tables were gone but it still had the same feel. Incidentally, when I was there I spotted something on the floor in the back right hand corner covered in dust. When I dusted it off ,(you may remember this) it was the small green sign that hung over that last table . It said table 6 no sitting on the tables. I still have that sign. I also now live in California. In a place called Morro Bay (Central Coast). Well anyway thanks for the memories.

Dana Wilk

Unknown said...

Hi Niz,

Well, since I saw your web page I think half of Manchester is aware of it now. I just got off the phone with Bob Moriarty (Moe) who lived on Cushman dr. I told him about your site and in turn called Flick Grazel (who is a minister now in Vernon). Flick said he prayed with Larry when he was sick. Moe's sister Dottie and brother in-law Ed Wrobel also said they knew you too. Flick said he tried to e-mail you. Maybe you didn't get it. If you have the inclination you can e-mail him at fsgrzl@sbcglobal.net
Everyone has said how much they have enjoyed going down Manchester's memory lane with your stories. Thanks again.

Dana