Sunday, July 27, 2008

I'm Seeing Keith Richards in the Morning

Alas, after a certain age every man is responsible for his face. -Albert Camus, writer and philosopher (1913-1960)


I’m seeing Keith Richards in the morning. No, not the lead guitar player for the Rolling Stones. I’m talking about myself, really, and about my face, as I watch myself age. Keith went through that phase and the whole world got to see it, the progression of time across the features until the last hint of the young man was gone and the face of the old man remained. Today, a different person stares back at me from the mirror in the morning. All of my brown hair is gone, and the glaucoma drops have turned my once bright-colored hazel eyes to a dull brown with the eyelashes grown long and crazy all around them. The nose is different looking now and more hair seems to jut from the nostrils. The forehead is creased and old looking, and the eyebrows sit below it like an unkempt hedge.

Unlike the older riff-master, I have no lucky-charms dangling from my hair, and won’t be rocking a club or going out on tour anytime soon.

Laudizen

PS - to anonymous on 7/29/08: thanks for the comment, the wife and I did Wildrose 5 or 6 years ago before my bad knee injury. What a view, over 9000' down to Furnace Creek! We love the desert, and shake our heads at those who don't get it. Be well. LK

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a funny guy! I enjoyed the Keith Richards look-a-like comments.

I enjoyed your photos also. I hiked Wildrose Peak in May. It's pretty cool to be able to see DV and Panamint Valley from the top. I love the desert, live in it, and never tire of exploring it and the surrounding mountains.

I help the Navy document petroglyphs on their base located in Ridgecrest. Fun stuff.