Monday, November 17, 2008

On Hot Dogs and Mountains

If there is one thing that has been slow in coming to the states of the West, it is an appreciation for a great hot dog. When I lived in Connecticut and New Hampshire, there was always a deli counter close by where I could choose between several styles of natural casing dogs from different makers, each spiced a little different and with varying degrees of ‘pop’ from the natural casing, a lining found in the intestines (usually from pigs or sheep). My father was always fond of a good hot dog and he liked to boil them until the casing split, and I imagine that my love for a good dog began with him. In the days of my youth back in New England, I enjoyed wonderful natural casing dogs with names like Schultz, Mucke’s, and Grote & Weigel.

Sixteen years ago, I enjoyed a New England hot dog on the flank of Garnet Peak in the Laguna Mountains east of San Diego. To read the story of that memorable afternoon, and to see a natural casing dog, follow the link below.

Dog Day Afternoon in the Laguna Mountains

Laudizen

No comments: